Pledge to “Go Green” with Christopher Companies!
April 22nd 2017 marks this year’s celebration for “National Earth Day”. When you buy a Christopher Companies home, you’re not only buying a high quality, hand-crafted, new home, but you’re selecting a builder that cares about improving the environment.
At Christopher Companies, we strive to continuously improve our building process to maintain an environmentally responsible and resource-efficient cycle. From the insulation and windows to the interior features, you may not recognize all the different design and construction elements that play a part in both improving conditions for our environment, as well as saving you money on your utility bills. We’ll prove it.
✔ Energy Star Certified – All Christopher homes are Energy Star Certified. Each Energy Star certified home reduces greenhouse gases by 3,700 lbs. per year, and use 15-30% less energy compared to a typical home. From 2013 – 2015, Christopher Companies was awarded the ENERGY STAR Certified Homes Market Leader Award and has participated in the program for over a decade. Read more about Energy Star certified home here.
✔ NGBS Green Certified – Christopher homes are certified under the National Green Building Standard, which means they’ve passed the inspection that requires several different green practices be met – including installing energy-efficient and water conservancy appliances, advanced framing techniques, low VOC-materials, quality insulation, high performance filtration and more! Read more about the NGBS Green Certification here.
✔ Land Conservation – In 2007, Christopher Companies was awarded the Land Conservation award for our “Kendrick” community in Fairfax County. Additionally, we always make sure to plant many more trees than we are required to remove during the construction process!
Looking for more ways to celebrate Earth Day?
Here’s a quick list of 5 Earth Day activates you can do in your new home!
- Conserve Water. Turn off the tap while brushing your teeth. Fix leaks. Choose efficient features (Tip – Christopher Companies homes include low-flow toilets, as well as high efficiency shower heads, dishwashers and washer machines!)
- Plant wildflowers. Wildflowers are not only charming, but they benefit the environment as well. These native pollinators attract and sustain critical wildlife, the creatures that are essential to our ecosystem!
- Recycle. If you don’t already – start today! Recycling saves energy, landfill space and natural resources.
- Gardening. Protect your health, as well as the environment. Whether you plant vegetables or fruit, gardening has been proven to reduce stress, lower blood pressure, lower cholesterol, and decrease depression.
- Start a home compost. Compost reduces soil diseases while helping you recycle yard waste and food scraps!